Meal Plan ~ Chicken and Eggplant


Last week I shared with you why I started my meal plan and some of the foods that I cook, my favourite being chilli beef. On Saturday I went food shopping for the month and I picked up some diced chicken fillets which were on sale and a few other things including my mince, eggplant and pork for my all time home made delicacies. Today I wanted to share my meal plan for this week (Monday and Tuesday) since I won't be home rest of the week until Sunday.
I can not recall the last time I ate eggplant so much that I was not sure how I was going to cook it, after some research (maestro google) I decided I was going to bake them. Several recipes has mentioned just putting straight in the oven but I wanted to some how cook them a bit before the oven. I found a recipe that suggested I soak the chopped eggplants into slightly salty water for half an hour then slightly fry or grill them until brown (I chose to fry).
As I have mentioned previously I am not good at writing out recipes so I will add captions to each photo as a way to explain what I did.

Step 1: Chop onion and asparagus, then diced the chicken fillet. Fry both on either side of the pan on low heat for 10 minutes or until fairly cooked.

This is how it should look like, almost cooked but not yet.

Step 2: Add tomato puree (I added some chopped tomatoes as well), salt, pepper (and chilli if you want) then add water and simmer for 10 minutes
Whilst I was cooking the chicken I had already soaked the eggplants in the salted water for 30 minutes, I then removed from the water and heated a pot with olive oil (just a tablespoon)
Before and After frying the eggplants for 3 minutes.

Step 3: In the baking tray layer the eggplants then top over with the chicken sauces cooked earlier, then sprinkle some oregano and cover with foil before baking for 20 minutes.

Serve with choice of side dish, I felt like some rice so I had mine with rice.

I can promise you, you will be licking your fingers all day. I love how simple and easy this is to make and could probably be done faster than me but it was first time so I was happy to take my time. Cooking has become something I enjoy and is very therapeutic and it's my me time so this is awesome to recreate something I will enjoy.

So what do you think of my cooking? How do you cook your eggplants? I have some more in the house and need more recipes for next week so please do share.

Labels: , ,

::The Myrabev Life::: Meal Plan ~ Chicken and Eggplant

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Meal Plan ~ Chicken and Eggplant


Last week I shared with you why I started my meal plan and some of the foods that I cook, my favourite being chilli beef. On Saturday I went food shopping for the month and I picked up some diced chicken fillets which were on sale and a few other things including my mince, eggplant and pork for my all time home made delicacies. Today I wanted to share my meal plan for this week (Monday and Tuesday) since I won't be home rest of the week until Sunday.
I can not recall the last time I ate eggplant so much that I was not sure how I was going to cook it, after some research (maestro google) I decided I was going to bake them. Several recipes has mentioned just putting straight in the oven but I wanted to some how cook them a bit before the oven. I found a recipe that suggested I soak the chopped eggplants into slightly salty water for half an hour then slightly fry or grill them until brown (I chose to fry).
As I have mentioned previously I am not good at writing out recipes so I will add captions to each photo as a way to explain what I did.

Step 1: Chop onion and asparagus, then diced the chicken fillet. Fry both on either side of the pan on low heat for 10 minutes or until fairly cooked.

This is how it should look like, almost cooked but not yet.

Step 2: Add tomato puree (I added some chopped tomatoes as well), salt, pepper (and chilli if you want) then add water and simmer for 10 minutes
Whilst I was cooking the chicken I had already soaked the eggplants in the salted water for 30 minutes, I then removed from the water and heated a pot with olive oil (just a tablespoon)
Before and After frying the eggplants for 3 minutes.

Step 3: In the baking tray layer the eggplants then top over with the chicken sauces cooked earlier, then sprinkle some oregano and cover with foil before baking for 20 minutes.

Serve with choice of side dish, I felt like some rice so I had mine with rice.

I can promise you, you will be licking your fingers all day. I love how simple and easy this is to make and could probably be done faster than me but it was first time so I was happy to take my time. Cooking has become something I enjoy and is very therapeutic and it's my me time so this is awesome to recreate something I will enjoy.

So what do you think of my cooking? How do you cook your eggplants? I have some more in the house and need more recipes for next week so please do share.

Labels: , ,

38 Comments:

At 24 February 2015 at 07:41 , Blogger Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes said...

This looks really lovely and yes I think I would be licking my fingers all day if I were to make this. :-)

 
At 24 February 2015 at 07:50 , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks delicious! I am definitely putting this on my recipes to try list!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 12:05 , Blogger Masshole Mommy said...

That sounds absolutely delicious. I love that it's healthy and sounds like it's fairly easy to prepare. I'll have to try it :)

 
At 24 February 2015 at 13:46 , Anonymous Tori said...

I have never cooked eggplant myself nor have I eaten it much, but I do recall not minding the flavor. I will have to see if I can start to incorporate it into my meals more in the future!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 15:17 , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks so good! I really enjoy eggplant so I'm always looking for more recipe ideas! Thanks!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 16:50 , Blogger Yaitza Bueno said...

all looks delish! I love grilling and broiling eggplants.. such an underrated veggie, but so delish!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 19:13 , Anonymous Samantha & Bev@REinspired Decor said...

This looks really delicious and I like that it is so simple!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 19:47 , Blogger Angela K Webster said...

Yum! This looks so good. I've just had chicken and rice for tea myself. I'm going to try this out for myself later this week. Lovely!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 21:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks lovely! will have to give it ago.

Sophie
xx
www.pocockins.co.uk

 
At 24 February 2015 at 21:39 , Blogger Pam said...

I love eggplant but I rarely make it. This would be a great recipe to get me back in the eggplant groove.

 
At 24 February 2015 at 23:22 , Blogger Andi said...

This is a perfect meal to make while my hubby is away on business - simple for me to make and delicious!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 23:23 , Anonymous Cassie said...

I've never eaten that much eggplant but this recipe looks delicious! I may have to make this soon!

 
At 24 February 2015 at 23:43 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! Sounds delicious! I would love to try making this!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 00:21 , Blogger Nina Say said...

Chicken and eggplant are two of those things that really go well together. This sounds like a delicious meal.

 
At 25 February 2015 at 00:35 , Anonymous Liz Mays said...

That sounds so delicious to me right now! I don't often make recipes with eggplant but I really like it!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 01:04 , Anonymous onceuponamaritime said...

I love chicken and eggplant, this sounds like a great recipe for me!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 01:31 , Blogger Unknown said...

looks really tasty thank you for the inspo x

 
At 25 February 2015 at 05:46 , Blogger SLM said...

Oh yummy. This looks delicious. I love to cook, and collect recipes. Adding this to my recipe to cook list.

 
At 25 February 2015 at 11:40 , Blogger Unknown said...

this looks amazing!!! I really need to cook this ASAP because it looks so good!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 13:58 , Blogger krystal said...

I'm not really an eggplant fan, but it looks SO good. I would like to try it this way!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 15:37 , Blogger JackieJacks said...

Meal planning is the key to success for staying on track weight-wise and for saving money by cooking in bulk! I love eggplant so much, but it took me about 10 tries before I was able to make it so it's wasn't all mushy inside. Eggplant parm may be for dinner tonight now that eggplant's on my mind lol

 
At 25 February 2015 at 17:03 , Blogger HilLesha O'Nan said...

I have tried and tried, but I'm not much of a fan of eggplants. However, this dish looks appetizing in every sense of the word!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 18:24 , Blogger Kori at Home said...

That does look pretty tasty. I like eggplant parm, or just plain eggplant cutlets but otherwise I don't really eat eggplant.

 
At 25 February 2015 at 18:45 , Blogger Autumn Blues Reviews said...

This looks really good. You know, eggplant is just one vegetable I don't like. The cook at home, my hubby is so nice. He likes it eggplant but won't cook it because he knows he will be the only one eating it. Can I substitute sweet potato for it?

 
At 25 February 2015 at 20:51 , Blogger mail4rosey said...

I'm always happy to take my time when I'm making a new dish too. This looks great!

 
At 25 February 2015 at 22:01 , Blogger CourtneyLynne said...

Omg this recipe looks pretty tasty!!!! Love finding new chicken recipes:)

 
At 26 February 2015 at 00:05 , Blogger Lisa said...

This looks so good.l I can't wait to try it.

 
At 26 February 2015 at 00:20 , Anonymous Notorious Spinks said...

This looks so good. I've never eaten eggplant before you make me want to purchase one and cook it.

 
At 26 February 2015 at 01:42 , Blogger Unknown said...

I've never had eggplant but it looks delicious! I need to do better with meal planning. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 26 February 2015 at 02:22 , Blogger Debi Gerhart said...

That looks just so tasty. I think i will have to make this for dinner one day this week.

 
At 26 February 2015 at 03:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of eggplant, but this seems like a really simple dish to make. What else do you think would be good to substitute?

 
At 26 February 2015 at 21:38 , Blogger Eliz Frank said...

That really looks good. I love dishes with sauces and red sauces make me smile. :-)

 
At 26 February 2015 at 23:54 , Anonymous Terry C said...

This looks really tasty. I have not yet tried eggplant but I bet is very good for you. You planned this out very nicely.Thank you for sharing.

 
At 27 February 2015 at 01:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks so tasty - an eggplant and chicken is something I never tried before but would love to! <3

 
At 27 February 2015 at 01:41 , Blogger Rayveniael said...

This looks really delicious. My husband and I are always looking to try something new and we have not tried eggplant since our early 20's. I bet we'd like it now - having a more expansive taste pallate.

 
At 27 February 2015 at 02:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks and sounds really good. I am not an eggplant fan, though, so I would probably leave that out of the recipe.

 
At 27 February 2015 at 15:04 , Blogger Dellah said...

This looks really delish and simple to make. I don't cook often, hubby does most of it, but I think even I could make.

 
At 27 February 2015 at 15:05 , Blogger Dellah said...

I love eggplant and we usually have chicken at home twice a week. Looks simple enough to make, even for me the non cooker. Lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home